>
>

FROM THE TEMPLARS TO THE NEW TEMPLE OF CULTURE ! 
LE CARREAU DU TEMPLE
THE NEW TEMPLE OF CULTURE IN LE MARAIS

THE TEMPLARS IN LE MARAIS

In the twelfth century, the lands that constitute the enclosure of the Temple (called enclos du Temple) were donated to the Templar knights by the king. Surrounded by a majestic 8 meters high protective wall, the enclosure was reinforced in the thirteenth century by the Tower of the Temple. After the failure of the Crusades, the Templars were enriched and were arrested on their return from the Holy Land by Philippe IV. The Order was dissolved in 1312.

Le Temple retained its name and became the property of the Grand Priory of France's house and of the Hospitallers, later known as Order of Malta. This Sovereign Order was under the protection of the Pope and enjoyed important privileges such as tax-free advantages. At this time, the enclosure covered 6 hectares, including the area of the streets of Temple, Bretagne, Picardie and Béranger.

READ MORE ON PARISMARAIS.COM NEWSLETTER

http://www.parismarais.com/newsletter/2 ... emple.html

[ view entry ] ( 729 views )   |  permalink  |  related link  |   ( 3 / 1236 )

<<First <Back | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next> Last>>


>
>